Search This Blog

Monday, August 29, 2011

Perfect Pasta

I should be Italian. I really should be. I feel that way back in my family someone must have been Italian. There is no other way to explain just how much I love Italian food. I think I could eat it every meal. Really, I could. Imagine my delight when a few months ago my beloved Bon Appetit arrived in the mail and it was devoted to everything Italian. I was in heaven; I couldn't put it down. Now, imagine how excited I was to discover a whole article on making the perfect pasta. Oh, giddy night before a field trip excited. In that article I found the simplist, most delish pasta sauce recipe that I have ever had, and it only has 5 ingredients.

Cacio E Pepe (serves 2)
  • Kosher salt
  • 6 ounces pasta (I use whole wheat spaghetti)
  • 3 tablespoons unsalted butter, cubed, divided (use a really flavorful butter. I made this at my mom's and it wasn't as good because her butter was not all that tasty)
  • 1 teaspoon freshly cracked black pepper
  • 3/4 cup finely grated Grana Padano or Parmesan
  • 1/3 cup finely grated Pecorino*

  • Bring 3 quarts water to a boil in a 5 quart pot. Season with salt; add pasta and cook, stirring occasionally, until about 2 minutes before tender. Drain, reserving 3/4 cup pasta cooking water.

    Meanwhile, melt 2 tablespoons butter in a large heavy skillet over medium heat. Add pepper and cook, swirling pan, until toasted, about 1 minute.

    Add 1/2 cup reserved pasta water to skillet and bring to a simmer. Add pasta and remaining butter. Reduce heat to low and add Grana Padano, stirring and tossing with tongs until melted. Remove pan from heat; add Pecorino, stirring and tossing until cheese melts, sauce coats the pasta, and pasta is al dente. (Add more pasta water if sauce seems dry.) Transfer pasta to warm bowls and serve.



    The most amazing thing about this recipe is how it is just begging to be modified. Toss some broccoli in the water at the last minute or two, maybe saute some mushrooms in the butter and add some peas. Whatever your tastes are, experiment to suit. My favorite modification is a corn sauce that I make all too often right now. I made it for a dinner party on Saturday and everyone said it was their favorite sauce of the night. The ground corn creates a creamy, milky sauce. Yum.


    Cacio E Pepe with Corn (serves 2)
  • Kosher salt
  • 6 ounces pasta (I use whole wheat spaghetti)
  • 3 tablespoons unsalted butter, cubed, divided
  • Kernels from 2 ears of fresh corn. Set aside 1/2 the kernels.
  • 1 medium onion diced
  • 1 teaspoon freshly cracked black pepper
  • 3/4 cup finely grated Parmesan*
  • 1/3 cup finely grated Pecorino*

  • Using a mortar and pestle, grind 1/2 the corn kernels until they have released all milk and are pretty much mush. Set aside.
    Bring 3 quarts water to a boil in a 5 quart pot. Season with salt; add pasta and cook, stirring occasionally, until about 2 minutes before tender. Drain, reserving 3/4 cup pasta cooking water.
    Meanwhile, melt 2 tablespoons butter in pan, add pepper and onion. Saute onion until it is translucent but not browned. Add whole corn kernels, season with salt and cook about 4 minutes, or until corn is cooked through. Add 1/2 cup reserved pasta water to skillet and bring to a simmer. Add pasta and remaining butter. Add ground corn kernels, tossing with tongs to incorporate. Reduce heat to low and add parmesan, stirring and tossing with tongs until melted. Remove pan from heat; add Pecorino, stirring and tossing until cheese melts, sauce coats the pasta, and pasta is al dente. (Add more pasta water if sauce seems dry.) Transfer pasta to warm bowls and serve.

    *Trader Joe's sells a Parmesan/Pecorino mix that I use for everything. This is what I used for these recipes.

    No comments:

    Post a Comment