Search This Blog

Thursday, September 22, 2011

Sausage and Peppers

I won a CSA box of veggies today from Suzie's Farm. I decided to make the most of the bounty and came up with this recipe based on the vegetables I had in my box.

INGREDIENTS
5 Italian Chicken Sausages
2 TBSP olive oil
1/3 cup water
3 bell peppers, seeded & sliced (I used 2 red and 1 green)
2 zucchini, sliced
1 large onion, sliced
5 fresh tomatoes, chopped
1 spicy pepper (I used whatever was in my box today)
1/2 tsp dried oregano
1/2 tsp celery salt

DIRECTIONS
Heat the oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the sausages and cook until brown on both sides, 8-10 minutes. Add water to the pan to deglaze and cook for about a minute. Remove sausages from the pan and set aside.

Add the onions and peppers and cook until the onions begin to soften, about 6 minutes.

Return the sausages to the pan and add the tomatoes and seasoning. Reduce heat to low or medium low and cook for about 10 minutes. Add the zucchini for the last few minutes of the cooking time.

I served this dish over last nights left over pasta (the stuff the kids didn't eat) and sprinkled it with a tad of mozzarella cheese.

I am not a huge fan of bell peppers. But, man, o'man was this a tasty meal! It was super flavorful and filling. There was enough left over for at least 1 or 2 more servings. And it had the perfect amount of spice without being over bearing.



No comments:

Post a Comment